Friday, April 13, 2012

The Atomium, Brussels




Husband and I realized we had to go to Brussels and show the kids the Atomium after watching an episode of "The Amazing Race" where the teams "make their way through Brussels and find the pitstop at the Atomium. The last team might be eliminated."... or something like that.

The Atomium is a funny structure. It looks so much smaller in pictures than it actually is. Built in 1958 for the World Fair it depicts an iron atom, magnified 165 billion times.

What made our visit to the Atomium special for daughter was that her friend, the older lady who lives in the apartment below us, came here in 1958 as a 13 year old. She remembers it being a very special day and kept her ticket all those years.

I wish we had been on the Amazing Race. We didn't get lost in Brussels once!

3 comments:

Amy M. said...

I've actually seen the Atomium in person. So strange!!! I laughed at the AMAZING RACE pitstop. They showed images of them staying INSIDE the Atomium. I didn't know you could go inside!!!!

-Amy

Dre said...

I believe they need to visit the SunSphere now... to round out their World's Fair travels.....

Nikella said...

I see you guys are "Amazing Race" fans, too! :)